Banner
Banner
Home China Country Info
Dutch
Banner
Country Information PDF Print E-mail
Emperor's PalaceAfter many centuries of imperial rule in 1920 the Chinese Communist Party was founded. In 1949 Mao Zedong took the power and China had truly become a Communist State. In this period large reforms took place, which had to make the country more and more communist.

However, with the death of Mao Zedong in 1976 and the coming of Deng XiaoPing, China started her 'open door' politics. Since the eighties there has been a slow liberalization of the economy and politics, whereby the current socialistic market economy has become one of the fastest growing economies in the world. During the nineties and later on China is going through unprecedented economic growth, which unfortunately is passing by the poorer rural population. A growth rate with an average of 8-10% during these years has been continuing until today.

With a surface area of 9.571.300 km2 China is the third largest country in the world.

Currently China has a population of over 1.3 billion people. About 90% are Han people, the real Chinese. The remaining 10% are divided up in about 55 people groups under which are the Tibetans, Koreans, Uygurs, Kazakhs etc. These minorities do use over 60% of the total land area however! Over 70% of the population is either directly or indirectly dependent on income from agriculture. More and more income is being supplemented with jobs in construction: China is implementing a large urbanization plan. However the people left behind in the rural areas are facing an even more difficult time.

It has been said that there is no country where the contrast between city and countryside is bigger than in China. While the living standard in many of the cities could be compared to The West, the largest share of the rural areas is still far behind. Still about 60% (almost 800 million people) of the population are farmers.

Taiyuan CityCave House



 

China23.png

© 2019 Agrinas